Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Teacher Esther


I have found my calling!! Teaching is incredible.

Yesterday myself and Katie, another volunteer, started our class with Teacher Neema - the most passionate, charismatic, enthusiastic and fantastically eccentric teacher ever. She is so happy to have us here and we really made the most of the class. So much so that she asked if i would start an adults class for their parents that afternoon.

So... I've gone rogue, and have officially started my own adults class in the afternoon!! My placement people were fine with it as I'd signed up for adults anyway. The adults class was AMAZING! I took photos of my family with me and this instantly broke the ice. My brothers have plenty of marriage offers if they're interested!! hahahah

By the end of the class they had already learnt so much - plurals, pronunciations and the family tree. We finished by dancing and I've been invited to dinner at their houses. I'm about to head off now to do the 2nd class... and if the turnout at the children's session this morning is anything to go by I expect the room to be full. Word must have travelled that we're here as there were 3 times as many children as yesterday.... all excited to learn English from their Cray Mzungu teacher!!!

I'm having the time of my life. It's the end of Ramadan so the mosque has been waking us up in the morning as the sun creeps over Mount Kilimanjaro just outside my window.

The other volunteers and staff are amazing. There's a Mexican guy here so we're celebrating Mexican Independence Day next week by cooking Nachos and giving the cooks a night off.

So much to tell you but 1 minute left at the cafe.

Give Harvey big loves...

xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Darling, Loving your blog and so happy that you are enjoying it so much... Try to post images if you get a moment... Harvey is receiving lots of love... He and Louis are now great mates, it's a boy thing... They roam, dig, eat, play, leap, rumble and rampage through the house... Coco looks on with disdain... Let's try and speak soon. Have you got your phone worked out yet? Love you lots and miss you so much... Mum xox

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you, please send me a comment!