Sunday, August 29, 2010

An Introduction to Africa

Kenya is everything I imagined and more! I flew in with Mount Kilimanjaro rising out of the clouds on my right, and plains of flat-topped Acacia trees on my left. Iconic Africa.

Wendy and Rob picked me up at the airport and they couldn't be nicer. Fit as fiddles and beyond welcoming they seem very excited to have an Aussie relo to stay.

We took a short cut home along a bumpy road in their fantastic 4wd. Rob locked the doors as the road took us past the poorest slums on one side & the national park on the other. The slums were a sad sight to see, yet everyone we passed flashed us big bright white smiles & enthusiastic waves. This scene of the poor, burgeoning human population encroaching on the wilderness is typical of one of the great problems of Africa...

The house is stunning! The firendly staff greet us happily as do the eccentric dogs. I'm served a scrumptious quiche which we eat outside under the towering trees painted bright with bougainvillea. A squirrel stops by to say a cheeky hello, and then...

The monkeys come! Yes, monkey after monkey jumping from tree to tree above us, curiously checking what we're up to. I couldn't believe it, and Wendy & Rob seem amused by my awe. I try explaining that foreigners often think Australians have Kangaroos in our backyards & we think this is hysterical, but yet in Africa you actually DO have monkeys in your garden. Incredible.

We went out for a lovely dinner at a buzzy local hotspot & I had a delicious lamb tagine. Bit too much wine and I slept like a baby for 12 hours! Apparently this is due to the altitude of Nairobi - 5,000 ft.

We're about to set off for a game drive & picnic in the national park. What a welcome to Africa!!

Give Harvey a kiss for me...

X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you, please send me a comment!