Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Little Things

Another incredible day! You may have noticed I spent the morning honing my blogging skills (if anyone knows how to rid my slideshows of those pesky ads please shout out). I'll paraphrase the next bit to protect assistant parties - but the afternoon was spent charming a local health clinic into giving me a certificate I need to more easily cross some of the borders ahead of me. It was a true insight into the workings of Africa.

For those who don't know, my rough itinerary is to spend a week here in Kenya with family before setting off for a month of volunteering and sightseeing in nearby Tanzania. I'll be based in Moshi, at the foot of Kiliamjaro and do trips to the Serengeti, N'gorongoro crater, camp with the Masai, and spend a few days relaxing in Zanzibar. I'll then head to Addis Ababa, capital of Ethiopia, to spend a month with family and volunteer there also. Then it's back to Zanziber for a 35 day overland trip through Malawi, Botswana, Zambia, Namibia, and South Africa. Notable sights include Lake Malawi, Victoria Falls, Okavango Delta, the sand dunes of Namibia... but so so so much more! Well worth tuning into the blog, for a lunch-time break perhaps, as I plan to take you with me as best I can.

Anyway enough of plans, and more on present. One thing to know about Africa is that it can get COLD. I have worn and reworn the few cosy items I fortuitously packed and have a sneaking suspicion they'll be the first to need patching along the way. With no cloud cover the nights can get very chilly, but with the altitude of much of Kenya and Tanzania the days can be cool too. It is also a lush, green country so far - not the dry, arid landscape of my expectations. The colour here is incredible, in fact I'm tempted to allocate an entire slideshow to the myriad flowers in Wendy and Rob's garden alone. I'm talking fluro and vivid, and an olfactory buffet!

The people of Africa are just as colourful and take great pride in their appearance. I've noticed they often have matching tops & bottoms, and Wendy informs me they think white people are quite daggy sometimes! They have beautiful hair, intricately braided and often highlighted in all sorts of colours. They are friendly and extremely polite - no wonder my Grandma Marjie, who raised my Dad in Zimbabwe, was so big on her pleases, thank yous, pardons and you're welcomes - manners are essential here.

There is so much to tell you but I'd hate to daunt you with the length of each entry. I will save the maniacal roads of Nairobi till another day, except to say I'm yet to head out and not see an accident! Anyone who laments Bondi Road on a Summer Saturday would count their blessings after navigating Nairobi in peak hour.

The highlight of my day yesterday is best left to the slide-show above. Nothing could compare to the long, warm, slimey, blue tongue of a Giraffe. Beyond words. We visited Giraffe Manor, home of the famous Rothschild Giraffes who poke their heads in the window as you enjoy breakfast in the morning. Highly recommended hotel for any friends looking for a decadent and romantic holiday with a difference!

Give Harvey Bear a snuggle for me...

xx

1 comment:

  1. Oh if I could get lost in this adventure with you...but I guess this blog will do. Thank you for sharing the long blue agile giraffe tongues -looks truly delightful and makes for great lunchtime entertainment. xo

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you, please send me a comment!